Centennial Celebration Schedule and Event Locations As Advertised in 2005
100 Years of Sea Hawk Heritage!
2005 marks the 100-Year Anniversary of the opening of Redondo Union High School. In celebration of this truly historic event, the RUHS Alumni Association in conjunction with the Associated Student Body (ASB), past and present faculty and many friends of our distinguished Redondo Union High School present the RUHS 100th Anniversary Centennial Celebration. Many ideas, continuous planning and an enormous effort has gone into the events and a sincere attempt has been made to capture the many stories and people of RUHS Sea Hawk history. In addition to many individual class reunions and other events, come join the celebration of the 100 Most Distinguished Alumni on June 25th.
All-Class Reunions, Decade booths, Alumni and families, past and present Teachers and Staff! Come join the celebration June 25, 2005, at 10:00 am until 5:00 pm in the Sea Hawk Bowl for the Grand Celebration of 100 Years of Sea Hawk History!
• Event Layout on Campus: PDF File showing the various event locations. Latest schedule of events (subject to change)
• Alumni and friends will begin arriving in the South Bay area to be part of the Centennial Celebration. Come early and enjoy what Redondo Beach and the surrounding areas have to offer.
• Dust off your cleats call your classmates and get your team together(or register alone and we'll put you on a team). Everyone is invited to the RUHS Practice Fields at 9 am for the 1st Annual Alumni 8-Man Flag Football Tournament. Cost is $5 per player. Contact Coach Simon for more information.
• The Redondo Athletic Association Alumni Golf Classic at Los Verdes Golf Course. Tee-off time is 8 am for golfers with a dinner/reception for all golfers beginning at 5 pm. $100 includes green-fees, cart rental, lunch on the course, prizes, RUHS Centennial T-shirt and instruction by a Pro. Contact Art Villanueva for details or to sign up for the tournament or call (310) 619-1960 for more information.
• Tike Karavas, '56, and Henry Burke, '47, will be opening the "Queen Anne" Museum in Dominguez Park from 10 am to 2 pm showing Redondo's proud history.
1955 • At 3:30 pm, Alumni from the Class of 1955 are invited to a reception in the RUHS Teacher's Lounge before graduation ceremonies begin. Gathering may start as early as 3 pm.
1955, 2005 • 5 pm begins the Redondo High Class of 2005 Graduation Ceremonies in the Sea Hawk Bowl. Along with graduating RUHS seniors, 50-year reunion Alumni from the Class 1955 will be on hand. We ask that only invited guest of the Class of 2005, Class of 1955 honored guests and those directly participating in the ceremonies attend.
All Alumni • From 6 pm to 12 midnight, everyone is invited to a No-Host Bar Ice-Breaker at the Splash Lounge outside the Crowne Plaza Redondo Hotel.
• Friday begins at 8 am inviting everyone to a dutch-treat breakfast at the Splash Restaurant outside the Crowne Plaza Redondo Hotel.
Friday Reunions and Decade Parties:
1940s & before • Classes from the 1940s decade and before are hosting an Ice-Breaker from 3 to 5 pm in the Student Cafeteria on the RUHS Campus. Contact Pat (Caldwell) Ramsey, '43, for more information.
1945 • The Class of 1945 will have a dinner beginning 6:30 pm at Seafood Broiler on Hawthorne Blvd. $22 per person. Contact "Jinx" Stephens, '45, or Parker Kemp, '45, for more information.
1947-50 • The Classes of 1947 to '50 have combined and are inviting class members to a reunion dinner in the Crowne Plaza Catalina Room at 6:30 pm. Tickets are $57 per person, pre-paid limited capacity. Send money to Mary Lou Williams, '49,.
1952 • The Class of 1952 will meet at 2 pm in Joan (McGee) Atchison's, '52, home for a Pot Luck Picnic Lunch. Contact Joan to RSVP or for more information.
1953 • The Class of 1953 will have a dutch-treat luncheon beginning at 11:30 am. Contact Sue (Bouse) Team, '53, for location and more information.
• The Malaga Cove Alumni has a big day planned beginning with a reunion and tour of Malaga Cove area from 1 to 4 pm. A no-host bar at the Crowne Plaza Splash Bar is open from 5 to 7:30 pm. All Malaga Cove alumni are invited. Contact Volney Willett, '53, for more information.
1955 • The Class of 1955 50th Reunions will take place at Crowne Plaza's Seascape Ballroom. Cocktails begin at 6 pm with dinner served at 7 pm. Tickets are $75 each, pre-paid limited capacity. Contact Norma (Edwin) Day, '55, or Leonard Boedecker, '55, for more information.
1920-59 • Having the largest gathering of alumni, four decades of Classes from 1920 to 1959 are invited to a pasta buffet dinner at the Crowne Plaza Pacific Ballroom. Tickets are $50 each, pre-paid limited capacity. Cocktails begin at 6 pm with dinner served at 7 pm. Contact Sue (Bouse) Team, '53, for more information or call (760) 729-3835.
1962 • The Class of 1962 is meeting at Pitcher's Sports Bar in the Torrance Marriott Hotel. This no-host event begins at 6:30 pm and lasts as long as the evening! Contact Loreene (Wilson) Orgoralini, '62, for more information.
1970s • Classes from the 1970s Decade are having their reunion beginning 6:30 pm at Delzano's by the Sea (formerly the Happy Clam) in the upstairs banquet room. Tickets are $15 pre-paid, limited capacity. Make checks payable to "RUHS Class of 1972" and mail to: RUHS Class of 1972, PO Box 7000-613, Redondo Beach, CA 90277. Contact Gentil (Bensoua) Smith, '71, or Carl Dreizler, '72, for more information.
1980s • Classes from the 1980s Decade are having their reunion beginning 7:30 pm at Latitudes on North Harbor Drive. This will be a casual night at a local Redondo club where you can relax, drink, eat and visit with old classmates. Please let Jennifer (Aust) Norwood, '87, know if you are planning on stopping by so she can let the manager know how many additional waitresses they will need. Latitudes is reserving an area for the reunion.
• The day begins again at 8 am inviting everyone to a dutch-treat breakfast at the Splash Restaurant in the Crowne Plaza Redondo Hotel.
• The 100 Most Distinguished Graduates enjoy a continental breakfast in the RUHS Cafeteria beginning 9 am.
• At 10 am begins the RUHS Centennial Celebration Opening Ceremonies in the Sea Hawk Bowl. Everyone is invited to the introduction and awarding of the 100 Most Distinguished RUHS Graduates chosen by independent committee earlier this year. But the festivities are just beginning! Lasting all day long until 5 pm, there will be entertainment for the entire family including a Carnival. Music will be provided by the Alumni Jazz Band and will also include an Alumni Rock Band playing songs from the 50s, 60s and 70s! Historic displays with past Yearbooks. A Memorial Wall to recognize deceased Sea Hawks will be available for messages and photos. The day will continue with reunions at various nearby locations for nighttime fun!
• All day long Car Show taking place throughout the RUHS Campus. Contact Linda (Denison) Aust, '66, at ((310) 379-6409 for more information.
• Throughout the day, Decade Booths manned by alumni from various years will have memorabilia, yearbooks and serve as great places for friends to gather to meet schoolmates from the past. The sheer scope of such an undertaking is monumental and our heart-felt thanks goes out to the many, many volunteers helping to put this all together!
• Don't forget to take advantage of the Open Campus with School Grounds Tours happening all day long. Despite an aggressive construction program taking place even now, the RUHS Campus still holds many memories of times, places and friends to be shared by everyone.
Saturday Reunions and Decade Parties:
1960s • Classes from the 1960s Decade are having a "Hide out at the Canteen" at the Knights of Columbus Hall. With DJ from Robert John Productions, dancing, raffles and no-host bar, join the fun from 7 pm to 1 am. Send $20 (more gladly accepted!) donation to: RUHS Class of 1969 c/o Vickie (Maldonado) Arendain, 2511 Harriman Lane, Redondo Beach, CA 90278. Make checks payable to "RUHS Class of 1969." Contact Vickie (Maldonado) Arendain, '69, or Suzi (Kenniston) Lyons, '69, FAX (619) 444-3502 for more information.
1961 • The Class of 1961 asks you to bring your appetizer and join them at the Elks Hall from 6 to 10 pm for DJ, dancing and no-host bar. $5 donation at the door, contact Terri (Ito) Abbott, '61, for more information.
1973-75 • Classes from 1973 to '75 are having a combined reunion at the Crowne Plaza Redondo Beach from 6:30 pm to 12 midnight. Tickets are $80 pre-paid, limited capacity. See Creative Reunions or contact Lia (den Braber) Biscoe, '75, or Tracy Hattingh, '74, for more information.
1980 • The Class of 1980 is having it's 25th Reunion from 6 pm to 12 midnight at Samba Brazilian Restaurant. Tickets for the dinner buffet are $45 per person, adults only please. RSVP by June 15. Contact Kathy (Bowman) Gonzalez, '80, or the RUHS Class of 1980 web site for more information.
• Come join the Sea Hawk Farewell Continental Breakfast – 8:00 am 'til 10:00 am – on the lawn in front of the RUHS Auditorium. Everyone is invited to cap off a wonderful week of reunions and celebrations with laughter and good cheer!
• Tike Karavas, '56, will again be opening the "Queen Anne" Museum in Dominquez Park from 12 to 4 pm showing Redondo's proud history.
• Lastly, everyone is invited to the RUHS Day at the Beach – Avenue C in Redondo Beach – 10:30 am 'til Dusk(??) – Bring your own beach gear, including food for fun and frolicking one last time!
1945 • The Class of 1945 is having a 10:30 am Brunch hosted by "Jinx" Stephens, '45, (310) 377-4040, and Parker Kemp, '45, at a private home. Contact either "Jinx" or Parker to find out the location and for more information.
• Event Parking: Map Image outlining the suggested places to park around campus.
Looking for your Reunion location? Use the following to find the addresses to your Reunion spot. Call ahead to get directions if you're lost. Contact the Redondo Beach Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Bureau to find even more places to stay while in Redondo. Remember: don't be late!
• This is the Hotel next to the Crowne Plaza
• 400 N. Harbor Drive, Redondo Beach, CA 90277
• Phone: (310) 376-0746 – Reservations: (800) 334-7384 – FAX: (310) 376-7384
• Last we knew it was: Fri-Sat $99.00 – Sun-Thus $79.00
• 1850 S. Pacific Coast Highway, Redondo Beach, CA 90277
• Phone: (310) 540-3700 – FAX: (310) 540-3675
• Crowne Plaza holds the Pacific Ballroom, Catalina Room and Seascape Ballroom along with the Splash Restaurant and Bar outside
• 300 N. Harbor Drive, Redondo Beach, CA 90277
• Phone: (310) 318-8888. Mention booking code SRB when making reservations to get the RUHS 100 discount.
• 179 N. Harbor Drive, Redondo Beach, CA 90277
• Phone: (310) 374-7525 – FAX: (310) 937-7245
• 315 Esplanade, Redondo Beach, CA 90277
• Phone: (310) 372-8488. The Lodge is in the Southeast corner of Veterans Park at the intersection of Catalina Ave. and Torrance Blvd.
• Located at Dominguez Park on Flagler Lane Between 190th Street and Beryl Street in Redondo Beach
• Heritage Court is part of an ongoing effort to preserve some of the turn of the 20th century history of Redondo Beach including the Morrell House and a circa 1890’s Queen Anne cottage housing the City’s Historical Museum.
• 306 Flagler Lane, Redondo Beach, CA 90277
• Phone: (310) 318-0684
• 2515 Pacific Coast Hwy, Hermosa Beach, CA 90254
• Phone: (800) 331-9979
• 214 Avenue I, Redondo Beach, CA 90277
• Phone: (310) 540-5898
• 239 N. Harbor Drive, Redondo Beach, CA 90277
• Phone: (310) 798-3170
• 7000 W. Los Verdes Dr, Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 90274
• Reservations: (310) 377-7370 – Pro-Shop: (310) 377-0338 – Banquet: (310) 377-7888
• Also containing the Pitcher's Sports Bar, reservations can start after March 21, mention Redondo Union High School 100th reunion, they have reserved 15 rooms for June 24 and 25 at $99 each.
• 3635 Fashion Way, Torrance, CA 90503
• Phone: (310) 316-3636
• Campus of RUHS Auditorium lawn (corner of Diamond and PCH), Cafeteria, Noble Gallery (in the Old Science Building), Practice Fields (Vincent St. and Irena Ave.), Teacher's Lounge (below the School Office) and the Sea Hawk Bowl (enter from Vincent St. at Juanita-Lucia)
• School Office: 631 Vincent Park, Redondo Beach, CA 90277
• Phone: (310) 798-8665 ext. 2005
• 207 N. Harbor Drive, Redondo Beach, CA 90277
• Phone: (310) 374-3411
Community members taking part in celebrating 100-years of rich Sea Hawk history...
Robert W. Clemo
Red and White
Redondo Beach Chamber of Commerce & Visitors Bureau
Kinecta Federal Credit Union
RUHS Class of 1959
Sea Hawk Booster
The Cotton Shop
Councilman Peter Tucker
Oligopoly Productions, Inc.
Liz (Roth) & Bryan Beam
Hermosa Beach Rotary Club
Women's Club of Hermosa Beach
Bay Cities National Bank
MCL Marina Corporation
Frascati Ristorante & Bar
Gayle A. (Dreizler) Bailey
Henry J. Schumacher
Patricia Allen Dreizler
We are asking for the community to take part and to help us celebrate our 100 years of rich history. We expect as many as 10,000 or more alumni, staff, family and friends over the week long celebration. To encourage them, we hope to make this admission free. We are reaching out to you, the community, for help We simply cannot do this without you!
Meetings are complete now as we anxiously await the fabulous events planned for the Centennial Celebration. Thank You to all the people who have helped plan this Celebration and do so much work to ensure a great week of events!
(February 23, 2005) canceled
(March 9, 2005)
(March 23, 2005) canceled
(April 6, 2005)
(April 20, 2005)
(May 18, 2005)
(June 1, 2005)
(June 8, 2005)
For more information, to volunteer or to make a donation, contact the Centennial Celebration Hotline at (310) 798-8665 ext. 2005. Become part of the committee of 100 Volunteers to help make it happen. There are LARGE and SMALL jobs to be done here so don't rule yourself out. May we call on you? Contact Liz (Roth) Beam ('79) to become one of the 100 Volunteers. Or Steve Bopp ('67) and arrange Sponsorship to help make this the community event of the century!
For 100 years, RUHS has provided quality academic programs, athletic victories and most of all, hundreds of thousands of memories. Please join the Sea Hawk family as we launch our Centennial Celebration.